Most women are conditioned to believe childbirth has to be painful. Hypnosis is a safe, natural and powerful ally that can help you to create a relaxed and wonderful birthing experience for you and your baby.
I will work with you to provide you simple solutions for remaining relaxed during childbirth, uncover hidden fears and change programming so that childbirth becomes a pleasant experience, reducing or eliminating the need for unnecessary drugs, so that your childbirth experience can be the miraculous innate process nature intended.
I have trained in both Birth By Hypnosis and HypnoBirthRite childbirth protocol programmes. Using these programmes I have the flexibility to tailor each session to address your unique needs as you prepare for childbirth.
A birth free of tension and anxiety
A key element of using hypnosis for birth is to address conditioning and dissolve any fear and anxiety you may have about giving birth. This can make a huge difference to birthing your baby because free from tension and anxiety your body can do what it is innately designed to do much more comfortably and easily, without unnecessary tension or adrenaline producing anxiety interfering in the process. I will also help you learn how to relax yourself deeply into hypnosis, as well as train you in comfort control and birth preparation techniques so you can have a wonderful birthing experience for you and your baby.
Unfortunately through the bombardment of TV stereotypical dramatic births, generations of stories that birth must be a long and painful process, and well-meaning friends and family sharing their stories, many cultures have learnt to expect a painful childbirth. So it makes sense to release this old conditioning so that you rest assured in the knowledge that our bodies, just like those of our mammal cousins, are actually very well designed to naturally and comfortably birth babies.
Benefits of birthing with hypnosis
Most mothers using HypnoBirthRite for their birthing preparation report experiencing at least three of the below key benefits, and many report high scores on all four:
- A far more comfortable birthing experience
- A significantly shorter birthing time
- A quicker recovery
- A calmer baby
Other benefits can include:
- No or fewer drugs, eliminating or reducing risks of side effects involved with medication
- Feeling more energised – being relaxed throughout the process minimises exhaustion of both mother and the muscles involved in birthing, and is most likely less exhausting for your baby too!
- Babies are generally more alert and have more interest in sucking in the hour immediately after being born
- Evidence of quantities of endorphins found in placenta and umbilical cords following a natural birth has led some to believe that natural birthing is more comfortable for babies
- Babies who sleep and nurse better
- While epidural procedures have been shown in some studies to prolong pushing time, being in control during childbirth allows mother, especially those who’ve maintained a high level of hypnotic relaxation, to push more effectively when asked by their birthing professionals
A complementary approach to your birthing plan
Hypnosis is complementary to prenatal education classes and birthing methods, so you can enjoy childbirth in whatever way is right for you and your baby, whether that be a home or hospital birth. It makes sense, if adopting the natural childbirth approach, to prepare well. Even with the best-prepared mothers – there’ll be times when assistance from some medication might be required. Hypnosis is not designed to be a substitute for medical intervention and medically assisted births are not without their benefits, and are sometimes necessary for the health of you and your baby. In the instance of a birthing experience requiring medical intervention mothers generally report a comfortable experience prior to medications being applied, and find the techniques they’ve learnt can still complement the birthing experience as you’re better equipped to remain calm and decide on the best approach based on the advice from your birthing professionals; they can aide your speedy recovery.
It’s clear there is much to gain for both you and your baby by using hypnosis to prepare for and during childbirth – it allows you to be an active participant during the birthing process with control over your body, and it helps you to effectively tap into the bodies innate and inherent birthing abilities to delivery your baby much more effectively and gently. My sessions with you are designed to enhance what your body instinctively knows how to do.
Client testimonials: see how other clients found working with me and birthing their baby with hypnosis